Thursday, July 1, 2010

Education Conversation

Last night I had a great conversation with a friend.  We talked about a lot of different things, but one part of the conversation really stood out.  We talked about education and how it is important, but that education comes from everything we do, not just from a classroom.  The conversation made me stop and think about my own life.  I, too, was taught the importance of education.  I always thought that life was: go to school, get a degree, get a job and earn a paycheck.  I went to college when I was 18 and was working towards a degree in English with a minor in Creative Writing.  I didn't finish.  There were a lot of factors, one of the them being the cost.  Last night my friend asked why college is so expensive.  My reply was that if the average person could afford to go to college, it wouldn't be special anymore.  The degree wouldn't mean anything if everyone had one.  As soon as I said it, I thought of another friend who has a degree and still can't find a job.  So, the question is: does the degree really mean anything?


I have known people that have gotten a degree through little or no effort on their own part.  Let's be honest; it is easy to find a school that will give you degree if Daddy's check has enough zeros.  Having seen that happen, does the degree mean anything?  Does a piece of paper really show exactly what you know and are capable of?  Nope!  As soon as I understood this concept, I realized my education has come through my life experiences.  I am well-rounded.  I am intelligent.  I have learned more about myself, life, love, relationships, etc. through actually living than I ever did sitting in a classroom.  Please don't misunderstand me.  I am grateful for the college education I have received.  I did learn very valuable lessons while in school.  I have simply chosen to do things my way.

The point I'm trying to make is that a college degree does not equate worth.   There are plenty of ways to be create wealth without having the piece of paper.  To find out more click here, then click on Business Opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment