Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Too Much of a Good Thing


Yesterday was Memorial Day.  I had a great day!  Before I get into what I did, I want to share what Memorial Day means for me.  My little brother is in Navy Boot Camp right now.  He is 19 and one of my very best friends.  I miss him dearly, but I am SO proud of him!!  He's extremely smart and dedicated to his work.  The military is not uncommon in my family, as my dad, uncle, and grandfather, (and some greats in there, too), were all in the military.    I am truly, truly grateful for the sacrifices they and hundreds of thousands of others have made so I can have the freedoms I have today.  I'm grateful that I can wake up in the morning and not have to wonder whether the water is safe to drink or the air clean to breathe.  I'm grateful to be able to walk down the street without having to hide my face because I'm a woman.  I'm grateful for the abundance of good food in this country and for the ability and freedom I have to teach people about that good food.  The freedoms I have are not lost on me and I am so very happy and proud to support the military of the United States of America.

Tangent?  Maybe, but I feel like I need to share my gratitude.


So, back to yesterday.  I had the opportunity to go to a Medieval Fair.  We saw lots of costumes and jewelry.  We saw jousters.  My friend's two kids each got a broken piece of lance, signed by the jousters.  It was cool.  After the fair, I had the opportunity to have dinner with some of the most amazing people I have ever met.  I was able to cook with and for them and spend time learning from them and sharing my own experiences.  We talked about so many different things, all over some of the most simple, incredible food!  We had grilled burgers, Italian sausage, chicken, pineapple, lots of fruit and vegetables, pasta salad.  So much food!  And, boy, did we eat!  Everything we ate was fresh and healthy and tasted so good!  My downfall:  the vegetables.  We were having such a great time, I didn't realize just how many vegetables I was eating.  Needless to say, by the time we were done, I was F-U-L-L!  Good thing it was vegetables and not sugar...

No comments:

Post a Comment